By Colleen Haskins, OMAFRA
….the short answer is “yes, you do”. Knowing what it takes however, may be a bit more challenging. Whether you are considering implementing an on-farm food safety program, or know you will be participating in a 3rd party audit, there are some key things you should do to help navigate and assist you with this process.
- Know your food safety program
- Obtain the corresponding manual and checklist
- Ensure all areas of the program are complete
- Write your procedures and records
- Prepare and organize required information
- Properly train workers and keep organized records
- Have product traceability
- Practice a Mock Recall and keep documentation
- Annually review your food safety program and practices
- Review, update and sign off on your program documentation
If the above items are still leaving you with questions on how you start to implement a food safety program or prepare for an audit, contact us 1-877-424-1300 or visit our website at www.ontario.ca/goodagpractices for more information and food safety resources. Food safety question? Ask us.