2015 summer job opportunities with OMAFRA horticulture staff in Ridgetown have been posted. The deadline for applications is February 20, 2015. The positions are for 16-18 weeks. See details here.
Student Research Assistant Duties:
Summer student research assistant positions will assist with summer applied research and demonstration projects conducted by Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) Horticulture Crop Staff in Ridgetown, ON
- Field work might include plot set up and maintenance, soil sampling, field scouting, trap monitoring, identification and monitoring of insects, earthworm, nematodes and diseases
- Responsible for recording agronomic and pest data and other pertinent information from research plots, survey sites and trap locations
- Develop and maintain databases for plot and pest information
- Assist in the coordination of events, programs and projects (e.g. workshops, demonstrations, field days etc.) working with key stakeholders and clients in delivery of programs and information.
- Office work might include data collection and database management, assisting with the production of technical information such as newsletters, updating web pages, blogs, etc.
- Will gain extensive knowledge in agronomy, insect, earthworms, nematodes and plant disease identification and monitoring/diagnostic techniques
Please review the qualifications for this position:
- Interpersonal skills to work within a multi-disciplinary team • Good observational skills and attention to detail to conduct research, field monitoring, processing samples, and data entry
- Written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, factsheets, and articles).
- Some proficiency with computer based software applications including MS Office programs, Internet and database management software to perform data entry, conduct analysis, prepare reports, track and compile information
- Ability to work in an outdoor or laboratory environment, with some light physical activity involved, including light lifting and walking
- Must work well independently or as part of a team; plan, organize and prioritize work to meet competing deadlines
- Must be willing to travel to rural locations
- Must have a minimum Ontario G2 Driver’s Licence
- Must be a resident of Ontario and be eligible to work in Canada.
- Must be between 15-24 years of age (up to 29 with disability) on the first day of employment.
- Must be currently enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary school, or have completed all academic requirements for graduation within 6 months of first day of employment.
- Demonstrate how you meet the eligibility criteria, skills and experience we are looking for clearly, completely and concisely. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Provide a cover letter and resume electronically to email@example.com in any of the following formats: PDF, WORD, plain or rich-text format (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt and .rtf). Or you could provide your cover letter and resume on paper to: Anne Verhallen OMAFRA Agronomy Building P.O. Box 400 120 Main Street E. Ridgetown ON N0P 2C0 Tel: 519-674-1614 Fax: 519-674-1564
Hours: 36.25 per week
Salary or Wage: $11.85 per hour
Application Deadline: Feb 20, 2015