Job Ad: 2018 Horticulture Crop Summer Student Field Research Assistant Positions (up to 3 positions in Ridgetown)
Organization: Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
Position Title: Summer Student Field Research Assistant
Job Term: Temporary for 16 – 18 weeks
Location: Ridgetown, ON
Salary: $14.85/ hour, based on a 36.25 hour work week
Closing Date: February 2, 2018
This position will provide an excellent opportunity for those interested in a career in crop production, research or the agricultural service sector. This position will provide the opportunity to learn about diseases, insects, and agronomy on a wide range of vegetable crops commonly grown in Ontario.
Student Research Assistant Duties:
• Summer student research assistant positions will assist with applied research and demonstration projects
• Field work might include plot set up and maintenance, soil sampling, field scouting, trap monitoring, identification and monitoring of insects, earthworm, nematodes or diseases
• Responsible for recording agronomic and pest data and other pertinent information from research plots, survey sites and trap locations
• Develop and maintain databases for plot and pest information
• Assist in the coordination of events, programs and projects (e.g. workshops, demonstrations, field days etc.) working with key stakeholders and clients in delivery of programs and information.
• Office work might include data collection and database management, assisting with the production of technical information such as newsletters, and updating web pages, blogs, etc.
• Will gain extensive knowledge in a variety of areas including: agronomy, entomology, and plant pathology. Additional skills include plant or pest identification, and monitoring/diagnostic techniques
• Interpersonal skills to work within a multi-disciplinary team
• Good observational skills and attention to detail to conduct research, field monitoring, processing samples, and data entry
• Written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, factsheets, and articles).
• Some proficiency with computer based software applications including MS Office programs, internet, and database management software to perform data entry, conduct analysis, prepare reports, track and compile information
• Ability to work in an outdoor or laboratory environment, with some light physical activity involved, including light lifting and walking
• Ability to work well independently or as part of a team; plan, organize and prioritize work to meet competing deadlines
• Willing to travel to rural locations (frequently not accessible by public transportation)
• Ontario G2 Driver’s Licence
• Resident of Ontario and be eligible to work in Canada.
• Between 15-24 years of age (up to 29 with disability) on the first day of employment.
• Currently enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary school, or have completed all academic requirements for graduation within 6 months of first day of employment.
How to Apply:
• Demonstrate how you meet the eligibility criteria, skills and experience we are looking for clearly, completely and concisely. We rely on the information you provide to us.
• Provide a cover letter and resume electronically to email@example.com in any of the following formats: PDF, WORD, plain or rich-text format (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt and .rtf). Or you could provide your cover letter and resume on paper to:
P.O. Box 400
120 Main Street E.
Posting Date: January 12, 2018
Closing Date: February 2, 2018