Organization: Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
Division/Branch: Economic Development Division / Agriculture Development Branch
Position Title: Summer Student Field Research Assistant
Job Term: One Temporary position for 16 weeks
One Temporary position for 7 weeks
Location: Ridgetown, ON
Salary: $14.85/ hour, based on a 36.25 hour work week
This position will provide an excellent opportunity for those interested in a career in crop production, research or the agricultural service sector. This position will provide the opportunity to learn about diseases, insects, and agronomy on a wide range of vegetable crops commonly grown in Ontario.
Student Research Assistant Duties:
- Summer student research assistant position will assist with summer applied research and demonstration projects conducted by Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) Horticulture Crop Staff in Ridgetown, ON
- Field work might include plot set up and maintenance, soil sampling, field scouting, trap monitoring, identification and monitoring of insects, earthworm, nematodes or diseases
- Responsible for recording agronomic and pest data and other pertinent information from research plots, survey sites and trap locations
- Develop and maintain databases for plot and pest information
- Assist in the coordination of events, programs and projects (e.g. workshops, demonstrations, field days etc.) working with key stakeholders and clients in delivery of programs and information.
- Office work might include data collection and database management, assisting with the production of technical information such as newsletters, updating web pages, blogs, etc.
- Will gain extensive knowledge in a variety of areas including: agronomy, entomology, and plant pathology. Additional skills include plant or pest identification and monitoring/diagnostic techniques
What we are looking for: Please review the qualifications for this position:
- Interpersonal skills to work within a multi-disciplinary team
- Good observational skills and attention to detail to conduct research, field monitoring, processing samples, and data entry
- Written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, factsheets, and articles).
- Some proficiency with computer based software applications including MS Office programs, internet, and database management software to perform data entry, conduct analysis, prepare reports, track and compile information
- Ability to work in an outdoor or laboratory environment, with some light physical activity involved, including light lifting and walking
- Must work well independently or as part of a team; plan, organize and prioritize work to meet competing deadlines
- Must be willing to travel to rural locations (frequently not accessible by public transportation)
- Must have a minimum Ontario G2 Driver’s Licence
- Must be a resident of Ontario and be eligible to work in Canada.
- Must be between 15-24 years of age (up to 29 with disability) on the first day of employment.
- Must be currently enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary school, or have completed all academic requirements for graduation within 6 months of first day of employment.
How to Apply:
Demonstrate how you meet the eligibility criteria, skills and experience we are looking for clearly, completely and concisely. We rely on the information you provide to us.
Provide a cover letter and resume electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org in any of the following formats: PDF, WORD, plain or rich-text format (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt and .rtf). Or you could provide your cover letter and resume on paper to:
Anne Verhallen, OMAFRA
P.O. Box 400
120 Main Street E.
Posting Date: February 21, 2019
Closing Date: March 7, 2019