Organization: Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA)
Division/Branch: Economic Development Division / Agriculture Development Branch
Position Title: Student – Field Research Assistant
- Field Crops – 5 positions available
- Horticultural Crops – 2 positions available
Job Term: Temporary, for up to 18 weeks, beginning spring 2023
Salary: $16.35/hour, based on a 36.25 hour work week
|Position Focus||Location||Contact Person|
|Field Crop Pathology||Ridgetown||Albert Tenuta|
|Field Crop Entomology||Ridgetown – London||Tracey Baute|
|Vegetable Crop Specialist||Ridgetown||Elaine Roddy|
|Vegetable Crop Specialist||Ridgetown||Amanda Tracey|
Are you serious about making your mark, getting hands-on work experience and learning more about careers in the Ontario Public Service? These positions will provide an excellent opportunity for those interested in a career in research, science, or agriculture. These positions will provide the opportunity to learn about crop production, diseases, insects, and agronomy on a wide range of vegetable crops and major field crops grown in the province.
- Assist with summer applied research and demonstration projects conducted by OMAFRA Horticultural and/or Field Crop Staff.
- Projects focus on production practices, e.g. soil health, weed control, pest management, crop fertility and others.
- Field work could include field scouting, crop identification, field scouting, soil sampling, plot set up and maintenance, trap monitoring, identification of insects, weeds and crop diseases, and other data collection.
- Responsible for recording agronomic and pest data and other pertinent information from research plots, survey sites and insect trap locations.
- Develop and maintain databases for plot and pest information.
- Assist staff to gather existing literature and conduct new literature reviews, and develop written reports, short videos and presentation materials on key initiatives.
- Assist in the coordination of events and programs (e.g. workshops, demonstrations, field days etc.), and set-up of field sites for events.
- Office work might include field sample processing, data collection, analysis and database management, file management, assisting with the production of technical information such as newsletters, updating web pages, blogs, scanning images, editing photos and videos etc.
- Will gain extensive knowledge in a variety of areas including: agronomy, entomology, and plant pathology. Additional skills include plant or pest identification and monitoring/diagnostic techniques.
Please review the qualifications for this position. What we are looking for:
- Interpersonal skills to work within a multi-disciplinary team and participate in meetings.
- Observational skills and attention to detail to conduct research, field monitoring and data entry.
- Written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, factsheets, and articles).
- Some proficiency with computer-based software applications including MS Word, Excel, and database management software to perform data entry, conduct analysis, prepare reports, track and compile information. Experience with Excel pivot tables, Power Query, Power BI and/or Python programming desired for one of the positions, though not mandatory.
- Ability to work in an outdoor environment with some light physical activity involved, including light lifting.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team, plan, organize and prioritize work to meet competing deadlines.
- Familiarity with farming, plants, pests and crop production is an asset but not required. Training will be provided in these areas.
- Willing to travel to rural locations (frequently not accessible by public transportation).
Requirements for hiring:
- Must have a minimum Ontario G2 Driver’s Licence
- Must be a resident of Ontario and eligible to work in Ontario
- Must be at least 15 years of age on the day of employment. There is no maximum age limit for SEO positions.
- Must be a student currently enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary school, returning in September 2023, or graduated within 6 months of first day of employment.
- For returning students: you may only work in the same position for two consecutive years
How to Apply:
- You must demonstrate how you meet the eligibility criteria, skills and experience we are looking for clearly, completely, and concisely. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Provide your cover letter and resume electronically in one file in any of the following formats: PDF, WORD, plain or rich-text format (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt and .rtf). Include your name within the file name when sending electronically.
- Please submit your application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. On the email subject line, please indicate which position(s) focus you are applying for.
- If you have any questions about applying, or if you have a disability and require accommodation to apply, please contact Elaine Roddy at 519-401-5890 or email@example.com
Posting Date: Friday, January 20, 2023
Closing Date: Friday, February 10, 2023