Job Posting: Project Lead – USEL Summer Positions for the Undergraduate Student Experiential Learning Program
Organization: Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs and The University of Guelph
Division/Branch: Agriculture Development Branch/Environmental Management Branch/ Food Safety Systems Development Branch/Ontario Agricultural College
Job Term:8 Summer Positions (Starting April/May for approx. 16 weeks)
Locations: 1 Stone Road Guelph or other OMAFRA Resource Centers (will depend on project and applicants)
Salary: $15.35 / hour, based on a 36.25 hour work week + benefits
Start Date: April 20th, 2020 to May 4th, 2020
Closing Date: January 13th, 2020
The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA), in conjunction with the Ontario Agricultural College (OAC), is searching for enthusiastic individuals with agriculture production knowledge/education and an interest in developing their leadership, project management, research and communication skills to join their team of technology transfer/extension professionals for a summer of mentoring.
Help us create and transform new research and ideas into practical programs, products and services which will ensure Ontario’s agricultural sector remains profitable and competitive. Successful applicants will be mentored by an OMAFRA specialist and University of Guelph researcher as part of the Undergraduate Student Experiential Learning (USEL) Program. Note: the geographic location options for each position – the options listed are available below, candidates should indicate which project(s) they are interested in. To view the project proposals, visit: https://www.uoguelph.ca/alliance/USEL.
- Measuring and Integrating Composted Bedding Pack Management on Cow Behaviour, Health and Performance – Location: Guelph.
- Colostrum and Environmental Management for Improved Goat Kid Survival (GKM) – Location: Elora or Guelph.
- Learning How to Adapt LED Lighting in the Greenhouse – Location: Guelph with occasional travel to Niagara.
- Phosphorus Use Efficiency in Winter Wheat – Location: Guelph.
- Expansion of the Vegetable Crop Report (VCR) to Improve Pest and Disease Forecasting in Southwestern, Central and Eastern Ontario – Location: Guelph.
- Investigating Impacts and Alternatives of Agricultural Plastics Use On-Farm – Location: Guelph.
- StoryMaps as a KTT Method to Communicate Predictive Digital Soil Maps Process to the Agriculture Sector – Location: Guelph.
- Validation of Microbial Intervention Effectiveness in Provincially Licensed Meat Plants – Location: Guelph.
What can I expect to do in this role? In this role, you will:
- Be involved in the delivery of production information to Ontario agriculture industry while being mentored by OMAFRA specialist and University of Guelph researcher.
- Coordinate a project designed to assess the presence and impact of new and existing practices, products, technologies and programs to Ontario’s agriculture sector.
- Work on a priority project, prepare educational and awareness building tools to facilitate change.
- Gain valuable experience working with world class extension specialists and researchers on a priority project.
- Gain knowledge of the role of government, knowledge translation and transfer (KTT) and potential career opportunities.
How do I qualify?
Applicants should be completing their third year or normally have completed 15 credits of undergraduate studies in a relevant OAC degree program (students from other U of G programs will be considered based on academic fit and experience related to the positions). Students completing their second year will also be considered based on academic merit. You have a valid Ontario G2 (or higher) Driver’s Licence or equivalent.
How to apply:
Applicants should provide a resume, unofficial transcripts, and a cover letter describing their interests and stating which particular position(s) they are applying for. Electronic applications should be submitted to: Carmela Cupelli, email@example.com. Applications are due by Monday, January 13, 2020 by 11:59 pm. Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview shortly thereafter.
Support for these positions is provided through the Ontario Agri-Food Innovation Alliance (previously the OMAFRA-U of G Partnership), a collaboration between the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs and the University of Guelph.
0 comments on “Summer Student Positions for the Undergraduate Student Experiential Learning (USEL) Program”